Nintendo warns pre-schoolers against 3D game player

By SiliconIndia   |   Friday, 31 December 2010, 00:10 Hrs
Printer Print Email Email
Bangalore: The leading video game manufacturer Nintendo warned children under the age of six from using its portable 3D video game player which is awaiting launch, reports John Gever of ABC News. The Japanese company which plans to bring the 3DS player in Japan in late February, with launches in the U.S. and other markets soon after, said that the new product could permanently damage the eyesight of children in this age group.

"A potential impact on the growth of children's eyes," is cited by the company's Japanese-language website. The company indicated that the danger lies in the fact that the neural processing that underlies eyesight is still developing in young children. As a result, the company suggested, the delivery of different artificial images to the left and right eye -- as all 3D video systems do -- could be harmful to proper eyesight development. The device can be switched to a 2D mode that should be safe for children, it said. Nintendo also recommended that adult 3DS users take breaks every 30 minutes when playing 3D games.

The warning had been made mandatory since users of current 3D systems that play on home television screens have reported nausea as well as eyestrain after prolonged usage

SPOTLIGHT
Facebook denies cyber attack
Facebook ruled out a cyber attack on its products Whatsapp, Instagram and Messenger, which suf..
Wipro opens third industrial
IT major Wipro Ltd on Thursday opened its centre of excellence for Industrial Internet of Things (..
IBM announces programme
n a bid to recognise the contribution of developers in the open source community, Information ..
Google's Gboard gets offline
Google is adding an Artificially Intelligent (AI) offline dictation feature on its Gboard keyb..