Mukesh Ambani's SEZ and 26 others get government nod
Thursday, 12 July 2007, 07:00 Hrs
New Delhi: The government Thursday cleared the way for development of 27 special economic zones (SEZ) in the country, including Mukesh Ambani's multi-product SEZ in Navi Mumbai. The go-ahead was given at a meeting of the Board of Approvals (BOA) on special economic zones presided over by Commerce Secretary G.K. Pillai here. The meeting, called to examine 39 proposals from all over the country, gave formal go ahead to 21 applications. Six were given in-principle approval, as some clarifications are required. The prominent SEZs to get formal approval include Unitech Infopark, DLF Commercial Developers Ltd, Parsvnath Developers Ltd., Navi Mumbai SEZ and Hindalco Industries Ltd. The SEZs that got in-principle approvals include Videocon Realty, Skil Infrastructure, Indian Foundry Association and one in Madhya Pradesh's Chhindwara area, the constituency of Commerce and Industry Minister Kamal Nath, to be developed by Chhindwara Plus Developers Pvt. Ltd. Formal approvals have so far been granted for setting up 341 SEZs, of which 130 have been notified, Pillai said after the meeting. He said that over 431 billion have been invested in these notified SEZs, which will provide direct employment to 35,053 persons. By the end of the current fiscal, investments of over 100 billion are expected and 100,000 jobs will be created in these SEZs, Pillai said. Ambani's Navi Mumbai SEZ had faced several obstacles earlier due to objections raised by the revenue department regarding the rights of the villagers residing near the 1,250 hectares area. The BoA gave the green signal to the 27 proposals even after the parliamentary committee last week suggested that no more SEZs be cleared until the government comes up with a proper plan for acquiring land for them.