Top 10 places to visit in Northern Territory
The Northern territory or NT is known for its vast, vivid, large, empty, federal landscape and a rare visual of Australia. Northern territory has a plethora of rocky places, isolated towns, cultural centres etc. Extremely underrated and ignored, Australia’s Northern Territory is anybody’s dream destination. I am proud to say Northern Territory is the home to most famous landforms even though we overlook the place to be empty and dry. It houses unfamiliar culture, unexplored gems, wild coastlines, sunburnt deserts. Ironically, Northern Territory with its variety can make the planning very difficult for a single trip.
Here, we got you covered the best 10 must-see attractions that you should not miss and definitely add into your itinerary.
- Uluru – This place tops my chart hands-down. There are umpteen reasons for me to keep it on the top of the chart. Number one, is the sunset at Uluru. Amongst ghost gum trees and waterholes, Uluru rocks huge sandstones in the midst of nowhere giving a feel of spirituality. Uluru is best at sunset where the rock throws in a gamut of colors. It is recommended to walk the base trail and end it with the sunset. The orange color of the rock has now become the symbol and backbone of the country and Australian Tourism. Uluru is the most important reason for the increasing-fame of visitors flowing in. Take away from this place is the sunset and sunrise which is definitely something you should not miss. Uluru National park is one of the world’s significant arid land ecosystems.Best time to visit – May to September
- Kings Canyon – King Canyon is a best place if you love exploring and a person who often treks. It is located within the Waterkka National Park. This place is quite rugged and goes up to 100 meters. With red sandstones, it features one of the most spectacular views of Northern Territory. The visitors get to travel through a trail and once they get over the steep climb, can enter into garden of Eden.Best time to visit – May to October
- Kakadu National Park – Spread across 2 million hectares is the Kakadu National Park that boasts of its diverse terrain. Listed in the UNESCO World Heritage Park, it is massive and an entry to wild Australia. See yellow water billabong, sunsets, art sites, waterfalls, secret waterholes, Jim Jim Falls and other breath-taking views or get an aerial view of the national park by taking a flight.Best time to visit – May to September
- Darwin – Darwin is the capital of Northern Territory. It got its name from Darwin. Darwin is more scenic seaside front and got everything from shopping to sightseeing. While you are there, you should not miss the George Brown Darwin Botanical Garden, Sunset at Mindil Beach, Crocosaurus Cove, Darwin Wharf Precinct Tours. Once your eyes have soaked the beauty of the Mindil Sunset, don’t forget to take a walk in the Mindil Sunset Market and enjoy the frugal yet hearty cuisines.Best time to visit – June to September
- Litchfield National Park – This place is perfect for both water babies and hikers. If you looking to spend a peaceful weekend, you can opt best for the swimming holes at BuleyRockholes and Florence Falls. For the bushwalkers, there is 39kms spectacular Tabletop track or 3.5kms Walker Creek Trail. Litchfield is popular known for the magnetic Termite Mounds with intricate arches and tunnels and the Lost City.Best time to visit – May to October
- Yulara – Yulara is a town that houses the famous Uluru-Kata Tjutu National Park. There are resorts and visitors choose to stay. Other places to visit are the Ayers Rock. Ayera Rock is an hour drive from Uluru and Yulara. This place is men’s site and considered to be a sacred as per traditional law. Everyone is welcome to the place but are requested to follow the tracks.Best time to visit – May to October
- Alice Springs – Unlike the name, it characterises more as a desert and gives an experience of deserts of Australia. This place is a gala of adventure like camel riding, hot air balloon, biking, bicycle ride etc. Explore the river desert, Alice Spring Desert Park, Finke George National Park. Alice spring is a remote place which is a blend of beauty, nature, animals, birds, animals. You can see rare animals during the night that gives a peek to endangered animal.Best time to visit – March to November
- West MacDonnel National Park – This National Park has alluring waterholes, creeks, gorge. The popular ones are Ormiston Gorge Redbank Gorge, Ellery Creek Big Hole etc. Spread across 2500 kms, there are many walking trails and several aboriginal sites. The highlight of this place is Mt. Zeil, Northern Territory’s highest mountain.Best time to visit – May to October
- Nitmiluk National Park – If you are planning a trip to Darwin, add Nitmiluk National Park to your itinerary as this place is 244 kms southeast of Darwin. Previously called Katherine Gorge national Park. It is situated on the Katherine River and gives a breath taking view of the vast park Its northern edges borders with the Kakadu National Park. In the dry season, the land divides because of the water level going down.Best time to visit – April to October
- Territory Wildlife Park – This park is housed with diverse species many are rare to find. For the convenience, the park has setup for shuttle train, walking paths giving a park like feel. One place that best suits kids to connect them to nature through this one-off rare experience. You can interact with the wildlife up-close living in their natural habitats. The aquatic experience is quite fascinating. Walk down underground to see a varied species of aquatic animals. Go close, nose to nose with the giant saltwater crocodile. Meet the experts and get your tour in the wildlife park. The park is open throughout the year from 9am to 5pm except Christmas Day.Best time to visit – Throughout the year
How do I plan my trip?
Planning a trip is mostly nerve wrecking and overwhelming. But at MakeMyTrip, we help you research and plan your itinerary
- Use the Free Planner by Make My Trip – It helps you to build the plan. Tell where and when you want to go and by using MakeMyTrip offers you will get discounts on your next booking. You have the flexibility to refine your itinerary. Get the convenience of travel agent. Discuss the plan to get savings and help create packages. Last but not the least, get assistance on the go!
- Make My Trip Flights – Make my Trip Flight rates are the cheapest and bookings hassle free that you have a memorable trip to Northern Territory.
- Route Planner – Just sms your city name and get the top routes connecting the cities via sms. Since Northern Territory comprises of list of destinations as mentioned in the article above, this feature will be the best to give a try.
- Make my Trip Offers and Deals – Time to time, Make my Trip Flight rates are made convenient so that everyone gets a chance to explore their favourite destination. Watch out for the “Discover Hot Deals” section on the homepage to get exciting deals and offers.
- Visa Assistance – Make My Trip gives you visa assistance by clicking here
Read More News: