Sankara Eye Hospital's Dr. R.V. Ramani Receives 'Padma Shri'

By SiliconIndia   |   Wednesday, 13 March 2019, 06:32 Hrs
37
cmt right
33
Comment Right
50
cmt right
12
cmt right
Printer Print Email Email
Dr. R.V. Ramani Receives ‘Padma Shri’ for his Services in Medical Field


Dr. R.V. Ramani, Founder & Managing Trustee of Sankara Eye Foundation has been awarded the prestigious ‘Padma Shri’ Award, one of the highest civilian awards of India. He has established a world class Eye Care with a social impact, and his work has been recognized in the field of medical services.



Works on an 80:20 ratio, Sankara Eye Hospital’s 80 percent of the beneficiaries are the underprivileged who receive completely free services, while the remaining 20 percent are the patients who can afford to pay for their treatment. Till now, they have performed 1.8 million absolutely free eye surgeries, which have positively impacted beneficiaries’ health and livelihood.

Also, Sankara Eye Hospital’s rural outreach eye care programme, ‘Gift of Vision’ which was initiated in 1990 serves to the rural population in 92 districts across seven states in India. The programme has conducted over 26,138 rural outreach camps, screened 4.8 million people and performed over 1.8 million free vision restoration surgeries. Similarly, ‘Rainbow’, a preventive eye care programme for children started in the year 1996 has screened over six million school children for undetected visual defects and provided care from spectacles to surgey.



Speaking about the achievement, Dr. R.V. Ramani, says, “National Award, a high recognition, which has come out of thorough due diligence and transparent evaluation will further encourage me and Team Sankara to reach greater heights and serve many more millions of needy people in our Motherland. It will also set an example for many other likeminded individuals and organizations to take up similar activities in their chosen field”.



Set up in 1977 as Sri Kanchi Kamakoti Medical Centre, which later became Sri Kanchi Kamakoti Medical Trust, a registered public charitable trust in India. He has established a network of 10 Super Specialty Eye Hospitals across seven states of India with over 2200 beds for community eye care. The hospital’s vision is to provide highest quality and value for money in eye care services. The centre is known for cornea, retinal diseases, glaucoma, paediatric ophthalmology, cataracts, oculoplasty and lasik. Dr. R.V. Ramani has also received several awards including Role Model of India Award, Lifetime Achievement Award from Kasturba Medical College, Heroes of Humanity Award from the Art of Living Foundation and IAPB Regional Achievement Award. 



Read More News:



Microsoft releases refreshed 'Skype for Web' on Chrome, Edge browsers




SPOTLIGHT
Gadgets
Chipset-making giant Qualcomm has listed chipsets such as Snapdragon 855, 845, 710, 675 and 67..
Enterprise IT
PayByPhone, the global leader in mobile parking payments, today announced that it will appoint And..
Finance
The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) in consultation with the Finance Ministry plans to spli..
US Indian
An Indian-American teenager has been conferred with the 2019 National STEM (Science, Technolog..
Entertainment
First things first. "Made In Heaven" is the sexiest webseries India has produced, no doubt about i..
Startup City
India Accelerator, a GAN partnered, mentorship-driven, acceleration program hosted ‘The Inner Ci..
Business
Hinduja Global Solutions here on Monday said it has set up a centre of excellence to train disable..
Career
IIT Roorkee organized an MoU exchanging ceremony between the Govt. of India Department of Scie..
Technology
Facebook ruled out a cyber attack on its products Whatsapp, Instagram and Messenger, which suffere..