Leading The Enterprise towards a Frictionless Future
Date: Monday , July 01, 2013
Challenges in technology to meet enterprise needs in 2013 and expectations
Security and regulatory compliance will still be one of the high priority item on the list. While companies have done a great job in protecting their enterprise from unforeseen events, the emergence of mobile computing will pose serious risks to the enterprise.
• Cloud offering standardization: Vendors have their ways and tool to support their Cloud environment. There needs to be some kind of standard so that the corporations can have a better handle moving between vendors when needed.
The areas in business environment where solutions do not yet exist or not up to the mark, and which if existed, would've made job easier
• Big data: Making use of the unstructured data will be a big deal. This is the data that is being captured through various sources such as Social media and search engines, and others. There will be lots of opportunities for niche companies to help corporations leverage the data for revenue generation and to stay ahead of competition.
• Better analytics tools. Lot of information and application but it is an effort to get the results easier and faster.
Technology Trends Impacting Enterprise Business Environment
• Big Data: Making use of unstructured data for competitive advantages.
• Desktop virtualization technology for mainstream use. This hasn’t really taken off as a main stream technology or solution. Having a cost effective, standard method of desktop virtualization will help be efficient, cost effective, and centrally managed and secured.
My roles and responsibilities as a CIO
My role has expanded from head of technology to include global Procurement and Strategic Sourcing, and Strategy and Deployment, ePMO. CIOs are in a much better position to move into the COO or CEO role as they understand the business as well as systems to support it. In order for CIO to move into the general management role, they need to be very strategic as well as solidly operational focused.
Lessons I learnt as a CIO that can help you
CIO roles are no longer just the technologist to deploy technology such as ERP system or similar products and services. It has expanded far beyond just running a smooth tech organization and successful project manager. It is a true business partnership role where CIOs are helping the company grow revenue by working closely with your business partners and bring great ideas to the table. Just keeping the systems running optimally won’t help, CIOs move up much farther.