Finding the Perfect Classroom Setup
Date: Wednesday , March 23, 2016
Headquartered in Kota, Rajasthan, Motion Education is one of India\'s fastest growing exam preparation startups in the edutech domain. It caters classroom, distance and e-learning offerings to students pan India.
Very often we find it puzzling to choose between digital classrooms and traditional physical classrooms as we have all grown up to the traditional setup where teaching methodologies were well-tested over decades. We coped up with the limitations it had and became complacent with the set up. Technology these days is advancing rapidly and the new trend of Digitalization of learning techniques are gaining popularity. Though recent and still quite an experiment, the question arises whether Virtual Classrooms are beneficial as compared to the Traditional Classroom. Not aiming at replacing traditional classrooms altogether but making a comparative analysis so that students can take an informed decision is the idea here. Below are few points that distinguish the two:
• Class Schedule: A traditional classroom set up has a fixed schedule that has been pre-decided by a faculty where students and teachers do not have much say. Even class durations are fixed and usually are not extendable as the next class awaits the students to leave. In addition to this, extra classes are frequently attended resulting in time wastage and low attendance. Digital Learning on the other hand is flexible and can be scheduled as per the student or tutors convenience and can be extended without any problem. Even extra classes can be scheduled accordingly keeping in mind an individual’s personal availability and not an entire class.
• Learning Groups: Students in a physical classroom form a homogenous group where there social circles and customs overlap since students are of similar age or either have similar professions and educational background. Whereas Virtual Learning is a heterogeneous group and can be considered as a global group since it enables an individual to connect with various people from diverse social circles and customs.
• Methodology: Way of teaching and the methodology in Traditional classes are normally teacher-centric and tools like class notes, blackboards, lab experiments, and charts are used. Learning atmosphere in the class is dull and observant to maintain discipline. Chances are traditional classroom might have few professors who can make them interesting and fun. However Virtual classrooms involve greater enthusiasm and engage students since the methodology is student-centric and extensively technologically driven. Tools like animations, 3d modelling, multimedia and others are used in virtual lessons, making the class interactive and fun. And with moderation tools, discipline can be managed just in case things go out of hand.
• Assessment: Evaluating a student’s learning is done in the form of tests that are manually graded which can be time consuming and a slow process. However, virtual lessons have automated evaluations that are accurate and quick with instant feedback.
• Expense: Setting up a traditional classroom infrastructure is expensive and usually reaching to the center does fall expensive since transport is required, which is not the case with Virtual Classroom. A student needs a basic internet connection and a headphone which falls less expensive in comparison.
These are simply few observations stated to give a student a clearer perspective though both the classrooms, Traditional Physical and Online Virtual Classrooms are a personal preference and depend entirely on a student\'s learning abilities, concentration power and retention skill. A good coaching centre should ideally combine the two and form the perfect blend to educate students.