Join Hands to Build a Smarter India: Sign in | Join now

Android Tops Global OS Market; Windows Phone Touches Third Spot

By SiliconIndia  |   Friday, 17 May 2013, 00:52 Hrs
31
cmt right
29
Comment Right
41
cmt right
7
cmt right
Printer Print Email Email


Bangalore: Android's operating system reportedly accounts for 75 percent of global Smartphone platform. As per figures released by IDC, Android leads the list with 162.1 million shipments in its first quarter of 2013. Apple's iOS is placed second in the list with a market share of 17.3 percent with a shipment of 37.4 million. Android and iOS together accounted for 92.3 percent of all Smartphone operating system shipments during the first quarter.



According to Gartner's Anshul Gupta, "There are two clear leaders in the OS (mobile operating system) market and Android's dominance in the OS market is unshakable."
In the same line, Microsoft windows phone is placed third, with market share accounting 3.2 percent and shipment of 7.0 million. However, it overtook Blackberry, which is currently facing a decline in its market share. BlackBerry had just 6.3 million shipments, with 2.9 percent of the market share and is placed at fourth.



As per reports from IDC, Nokia which is currently using Windows platform for its flagship Lumia series accounted 79 percent of Windows Platform shipments during the quarter, signifying the relationship between Microsoft and the Finnish handset maker is working well.
On the other hand, Blackberry's data shows its flagship BlackBerry 10already shipped one million, indicating a strong growth.



Also Read
10 Worst Betrayals In Tech World
11 Biggest Revelations From Google I/O



Experts on SiliconIndia
Santhosh  K
Sr. Soft. Engg.
Oracle India
Nehal Vyas
Sr. Team Lead
Cyberoam Tech.
Rani Malli
Sr. Director
Philips
Ather Mohammad A
Sr. Executive
ISB
Vijay Balkrishna Konduskar
Business Consultant
Imans Web Tech
Dr L P  Sharma
Technical Director
NIC
Reena Khanna
Founder
Solitaireworld
Dellas  Asse
sys-network admin
Computer Station
Sign Up for DailyDose and Read the Day's Highlights
Write your comment now
Submit Reset
SiliconIndia About Us   |   Contact Us   |   Help   |   Community rules   |   Advertise with us   |   Sitemap   |  
News:       Technology   |   Enterprise   |   Gadgets   |   Startups   |   Finance   |   Business   |   Career   |   Magazine  |   Newsletter   |   News archive  
Cities:        CEO   |     Startup   |   Mobile   |   CIO   |   Women   |   BI   |   HR   |   SME   |   Cloud   |   Marketing   |   QA   |   Java   |   Web Developer  
Community:      Members   |   Blogs   |   Indian Entrepreneurs   |   Gyan   |   Advice   |   Community   |   Find   |   CXO Insights  
Job Board:      Jobs   |   Freshers   |   Companies   |   HR Speak   |   Forum  
Online Courses:   Web Developer   |   Java Developer   |   CCNA Training   |   SEO   |   SAS   |   SQL Server 2005   |   J2EE
Education:   MBA   |   MCA   |   Engineering   |   Training Institute
Life:          Real Estate   |   Travel   |   Finance   |   Gadgets   |   Movie Reviews   |    Jokes  
Send your feedback and help us continue to improve SiliconIndia
© 2014 InfoConnect Web Technologies India Pvt Ltd. all rights reserved